Saturday, January 16, 2010

Earthquakes



I live in pretty much the middle of Oklahoma. We don't usually have earthquakes around these parts, except the thing is we have been having A LOT of earthquakes around these parts lately. In a week we have had four. I have felt every single one of them, one which woke the whole house up in the early hours of the morning. The magnitude has ranged from 2.8 to the largest yesterday a 4.0. Up until about 3 months ago I had never felt an earthquake, I didn't even realize Oklahoma had a fault line. I've lived here my whole life and not one shake had I felt. In the past three months we have had probably a dozen or more. They are quite un-nerving especially when they happen in the dead of the night. I would like them to stop now.

With that said the measly 4.0 that I experienced yesterday was NOTHING compared to the 7.0 that Haiti experienced. There was no damage here to anything but nerves, no loss of life. However, the story is much different in Haiti. People are dying, are dead, have lost everything, children are missing, hurt, going hungry. The people of Haiti are getting desperate, they have no where to lay their dead, or their own head for that matter.

So when I received and e-mail from the March of Dimes allowing me to donate via text I jumped on that. It was super easy and quick and so needed. Below is the information needed to text a donation. I vouch for the March of Dimes as I have be raising funds for them for several years now. I myself used this number to text and it's valid and they give you a chance to back out of it before it is finalized. Five bucks is a cup of coffee to us, it could be used for so much more in the effort to help the Haitian people.

The March of Dimes is always working to help mothers and babies. If you want to donate immediately, text the word BABY to 20222 and your phone will be charged $5.00 for a donation to the March of Dimes.

This is the link to the March of Dimes page explaining what they plan to do with the donations.

0 comments: