Saturday, July 21, 2007

1 year update

Kolton and Karter are doing very well according to the doctor, both are on the charts for their height and weight. The doctor said both are in the normal range for 1 year olds. Yah! Way to grow boys.

Kolton: His weight was 22lbs, his head was 47.3 and height was 30in. The only thing that has come up with Kolton is that we believe he may have asthma. It started about 2 weeks ago. I began to notice when he became upset, for example if he didn't want to take a nap and I left him in his bed he would began to cry, then cough, then wheeze. I began to notice this with more frequency when he played hard or cried hard. Last Wednesday he kind of scared me. I was vacuuming and he was crawling around chasing me and running away from the vacuum, when I was finished he was coughing, breathing hard and wheezing. This "attack" lasted longer than any of the other ones and I began to think I might have to run him into the doctor. About 20 mins later he breathing returned to normal. Our appt. was on Friday, he seemed fine and resumed play so I discussed it with the doctor on Friday. The doctor did indeed hear wheezing in his lungs so we now have Albuterol to use for 5 days and then not again until he has another "attack". I hope this is just infant asthma and leaves as he gets older, of if it stays it does not hinder what he wants to do, such as sports or running or playing. We are praying and keeping our fingers crossed on this. Kolton still only has 6 teeth, I don't feel anymore breaking through, he cruises like a pro and can stand, I know he can, on his own but is scared to do it so always sits down and then crawls. I don't think it will be much longer and he will be walking, he just has to get more confidence in himself. He sleeps through the night. They goes to bed between 7:00 and 7:30 and wake around the same time. We have a pretty good schedule going and they seem to agree. The only thing we are working on is naps. Most times they don't want to nap in the morning which is fine with me because they will take a longer afternoon nap. However, if they do nap in the morning than afternoon naps are all messed up and then they are super tired early in the evening. I would eventually like for them to take a longer nap in the afternoon, so I can have a little time as well. They kinda call the shots on this, but I'm working on it. Kolton babbles all the time, we are not sure what he is saying but he seems to know. He can say Bye, Daddy, Mama, Nannie or Nana or Nanie, not sure which one for which person, all gone, uh-oh and yay. He loves to scream and squeal, to the cat mostly, which scares the cat to death and he is almost always a happy boy. He has started crying if I leave the room and will follow me from room to room. He eats what we eat, just cut up very small and the only thing I noticed he does not like is eggs, nothing about them or anyway I have cooked them. Same with Karter not too fond of them either. Well he doesn't seem to like milk very much either, but we have just begun to introduce that so hopefully he will come around to it.

Karter: He weighted 20.8lbs, his head was 45.7 in and he was 29 3/4 in tall. He does not seem to have asthma, although I would have figured he would be the one to get it, due to his BPD and having to be on oxygen for longer than Kolton. I'm glad he seems to have escaped it so far. Oh my little Karter, he does have such a stubborn, strong personality. His daddy says that it comes from me, not sure how I feel about that. He knows what he wants and if he does not get it he becomes stiff and kicks his feet or hops up and down and of course cries. We call it gyrating, basically he gets really pissed off. He has no patience, which he will have to learn. Other than those time which don't really happen that often, yet anyway, he is a very happy little boy. He is also cruising everywhere, but just like Kolton is uneasy without support from a hand or object. I'm sure it will only be a matter of time for him as well. Karter likes to nap better than Kolton, but he is doing the same thing with his naps as Kolton is as well. We just need to work on those. Like I stated before we have a pretty good schedule worked out. Bed 7:00-7:30 up at the same time, breakfast 7:30 or 8:00, lunch 12:00 or 12:30, nap if they take it 12:40 or 1:00 to 2:00 or 3:00, supper at about 5:15 and this is when they want to eat, they get really cranky, bath or so at 6:00 or 6:30, play time with mommy and daddy in the floor for an 30 mins to an hour then they settle down began to get sleep and go to bed at 7:00 or 7:30. We used to rock them to sleep, but now they would rather lay in their bed with a bottle and doze off. They hardly ever fuss. I am quite proud of the schedule, it works and they are usually well rested and happy kids.
Karter still wakes up once or twice during the night wanting a bottle. I know this is habit, one we will have to stop or he will be a night feeder when he is older and I don't want this. We have begun to work on this as well reducing the amount of formula he gets. He is not going to be happy and we are going to have rough few nights I can already tell, but it will be better in the long run. Speaking of formula the doctor said they really don't need it anymore and should drink milk or something else instead. While that is our goal and I don't want to take it away cold turkey just yet we will do it gradually and up their milk as we do it. They do drink water and juice from a cup already. He eats what we eat as well and likes milk and really likes chocolate milk. Karter now has 8 teeth.

Both boys are such a joy and getting more fun everyday, they are happy and healthy. Whenever I'm out people always comment on how well behaved they are, and they really are good kids.

5 comments:

Eva said...

They are so sweet! Glad they are doing well and growing well, though I'm sorry to hear about the asthma.

Dara Lee said...

While I too am sorry to hear about the asthma, my hubby and I wanted to say Congratulations on their growth! You've obviously done very well by them this first year.

I just wanted to say (and this was just us) that we let all of our boys have a bottle in the night if they wanted it until they eventually stopped wanting one. Gage was about 13 months, Nate was around 11 months and Jude was about a year. We thought that maybe they were growing or just really hungry. All of them eventually stopped on their own, though we still leave a bottle of water in the crib with the twins because of the heat. Just my two cents.

Good luck with the next year, it only gets more fun (and a little more frustrating at times)!

Stacie said...

Such cuties! I hope the asthma goes away as they age.

Katrina Shaw said...

Hi Brandy,

We had a great time at their party. I haven't got to be around them much, but the times I have, they are very well behaved, adorably happy little boys!! We really hope to have you guys over sometime soon so the boys can all play together. I think it will be fun to watch.

Katrina

Courtney said...

Congrats on the growth! WOOoooHOooo!!!!