Tuesday, October 16, 2007

15 Months

Tomorrow the boys turn 15 months. Where has the time gone? I am reminded by the two new additions to our family just how tired, cranky and worn out we were when the boys first came home. That seems like so long ago. Most of the time I'm like "thank God" that they are older, that was no fun, but at other times when I hold Collin or Kyndie I remember those times when I would just watch them sleep or eat. Both my brother, sister and their spouses are in the mist of the first weeks of a new baby. You know that time when at moments you wonder "what the hell was I thinking", your emotions are all over the place, especially the women, those hormones suck. You are to an extent grieving the life you knew for so long and will never have again, but are celebrating the precious little life that you helped bring into the world. Your new love, your new pastime, your NEW life. I'm so very excited for my boys to have cousins that will be close to their age. I had a wonderful time growing up with my cousins, we had fun and of course go into trouble, but all wonderful memories to me, the games we played, Christmas time at Mamaw's. I look forward to watching my kids making memories.

Lets get to the updates.

Kolton-We have a walker folks. He started walking last week and hasn't stopped since. He's even started to try to run, but usually his legs can't keep up with him yet and he falls down. Other than when he tries to run, he walks well. Looks like he's been doing it forever and bends down to pick up toys or something he has dropped. He just this week has started to carry stuff around with him. It's so cute to watch him try to figure how to carry something and walk at the same time. A week and a half ago we had to make a trip to Urgent Care because he was having to work to breath. He of course was not turning blue, but was grunting and contracting a little. He had started getting a cold just he day before and by the next day, which was a Sunday, his asthma was acting up and I could tell he didn't feel well. Regardless he was eating and playing, but I didn't like the way he sounded when he breathed so I took him in. They did x-rays to check his lungs, saying they had been seeing a lot of pneumonia lately. We where initially told it was just his asthma and instead of giving him liquid Albuterol, he was switched to a nebulizer to us as needed. The next day we got a call from Urgent Care saying the radiologist reviewed the x-rays and felt he may have a little pneumonia and put him on antibiotics. So this past Thursday we took him to our Ped. for a recheck. He sounded fine and within a few days his nose had stopped running and he had stopped coughing. We have not had to use the nebulizer in a week and he looks and acts like he feels much better. While at the Ped. since it was so close to them being 15 months the doctor did a short exam and called them good. This flustered me somewhat because I had not planned on them having their 15 month check-up this day. The nurse didn't get to do all her normal measuring and stuff, just weights because she too was not expecting it. I'm a bit irritated that we didn't get heights on them, I plan to do it at home now. And I don't feel he did a thorough exam on them. He then said he didn't need to see them for 6 months. I didn't catch it at first but I thought they needed to be seen again at 18 months, then at 24 months. I'm calling them tomorrow to check on this. I've thought about several times switching Peds, but there is several reasons I haven't. One, I like our Ped, he's a nice man, but I want him to be more thorough, I'm not sure how I want him to do this, I suppose to explain things more and not just assume I don't care or that I don't or won't understand. Two, I don't really know any of the other Peds and I'm afraid if I switch I won't like them. I want someone who will think my kids are just as important as I do, or for them to at least pretend like it. Sorry about he rant, back to Kolton. He is cutting two more teeth on top, I believe they are his first molars, he's done pretty good so far, but was a bit cranky today. He weighted 24lbs at the Peds the other day. He had all his clothes on and I believe he probably weighs 23lbs. He eats well and loves to have his teeth brushed.





Karter-He is also walking, not quite as good at it as his brother, but he's getting there. They both started walking in the same week. He too can bend over and pick up a toy and it starting to carry things around as well. He has the more typical Frankenstein walk that toddlers do. He falls down or losses his balance sometimes but it really doing quite well. He didn't have to make a trip to Urgent Care. He got the cold but not as bad as Kolton and does not have asthma so he didn't have as hard of a time as Kolton did. I think we have FINALLY gotten his eczema under control. I'm sure it helps that he is not always crawling. We have two creams that we apply depending on how bad it is and this past week we have only had to apply it once a day. He has no visible breakouts. This is wonderful because at times it bothered and itched him and he would scratch until he bleed in his sleep. I hated that as I'm sure he did. At the doctor the other day he weighed 23lb but also had his clothes on so I'm taking a pound off and going with 22lb. Once again I don't know how tall he is but they both look pretty close to the same size. He is getting one tooth on top a molar and at this point has not had a problem with it. He does not like his teeth brushed but loves to play in the bath and loves to pull soft blankets off the couch, out of his bed, or out of the clean laundry and lay his cute little head on it. They both only use their binkies in bed and still get a water bottle. I have started saying to them each night before I sing them their night night song, the prayer I used to say as a child. They both like night night time and usually are almost asleep before I leave the room. They are sleeping through the night, with an occasional wake up. Their naps are a little wonky now, sometimes trying to nap in the AM, with no nap in the PM and sometimes no nap at all and sometimes a nap in the afternoon but it's shorter than it used to be. We will have to work on this cause momma needs at least an hour break at some point during the day.




I can't believe that my tiny little preemie boys are 15 months old. This is such a fun, fun age. We can't wait for all the holidays!



2 comments:

Eva said...

So many wows reading your post, I may have to number my comments.
1. I love the way you describe the first few weeks of parenthood.
2. congrats on the walkers! Sounds like they are really sturdy which is great.
3. They sound like so much fun!
4. I think I read that it's around 15 months that many kids switch to only an afternoon nap, though maybe a bit later with preemies. We have nap issues too because at daycare, although they do respond to the kids, it's easier for them if S&J only take an afternoon nap, and I don't think they're ready for that (so they let them nap in the morning, but don't mind if they skip it). Perhaps let them nap in the morning, and gradually move that nap by 15 minutes a day a bit later? I read something about that. I know you didn't ask for advice, though, sorry!
5. And more unsolicited advice... your ped is a really important person in your life. If you don't feel comfortable with him or feel like he's being thorough, I would really find someone else. Do you have friends who have young kids? You could ask who they use. Also, I know people who "interviewed" several peds before deciding, so you could see if you like someone before committing. Finally, I looked it up, and I think you're right, it's standard to have 15 months, 18 months, and THEN a 6 month break until 2 years.

Lesley Barr Photography said...

I love the new design!!! So cute.
Congratulations on two walkers! Are you having such a blast...I can't wait! I'm so glad it gets better and better. Good advice on napping from Eva. I love the photo from the back (in your new header)..that is precious.