Friday, November 02, 2007

My Favorite Things.

I don't know what got me thinking about this. Maybe the new parents in the family and all the baby stuff that's on the market. I remember feeling so confused and frustrated. I had no clue what I needed or what would work best. As I muttled along I have discovered some things that I really like. Here's my short list of things that have worked the best for us.

Here they are.

1. AngelCare Monitor by Bebe Sounds. This is my number one favorite thing. This simple monitor allowed both Jimmy and I to be able to sleep. We got this monitor when we no longer needed the Apnea Monitors prescribed by the doctor. I believe both babies where about 6-7 months old(I don't really know for sure if that's the correct age, but I'm too lazy at this point to look through my archives) when we started using them. Like the Apnea monitors, they sound an alarm if there is no movement in baby's bed for at least 20 seconds. You will, as your children get older, get a few false alarms as baby begins to move around the bed more, but they are few and far between. I know this does not prevent SIDS or something else bad from happening, but it does alert you if there is a problem it alerts you soon enough that you can get help or take recitative measures yourself. We have used these every night since. Well that was every night until about a week ago. It was the first time in 15 months the both boys where not being monitored while we all slept. I was nervous and would still be using them if they hadn't become such and obsession and a hazard to the boys during the day. Both boys are OBSESSED with the monitor and cords. The began, everyday climbing under their beds numerous time to get to the monitors. I tried everything to keep them out of their reach, but because there is a part that remains in the bed at all times I couldn't just put it up during the day. So, because it had become a hazard during the day, all day and the boys were so obsessed I decided to put the up, for good.
I strongly recommend this monitor, for 65-80 dollars you can have some peace of mind while you sleep. If I ever have any more children I will certainly use this monitor again.


Jan. 19, 2007
The day before the boys where taken off the Apnea Monitors. We where so nervous and scared. We researched and ran right out and bought two AngelCare Monitor.

2. Boppy. This is great for all occasions. It's good if you breast feed and works great if you bottle feed as well. I have used mine(we have two) for several different things. When the boys were really young they were a life saver. I used them to feed both boys at the same time. It took some practice but once I got the hang of it things got a lot easier. I also used them for tummy time and the boys would lay on them on our bed and just watch us or their surroundings. Occasionally they would nap in them. I have to tell you there is a disclaimer on the tag that states you should never allow your children to nap on them, but I did, I never left them alone on them. Kolton had some pretty bad reflux when he was little and we where supposed to prop him up after feedings for at least 20-30 mins. The Boppy worked great for this as well. I recommend these to anyone with an infant they allow you to have your child close by but have your hands free as well.


Picture taken Oct. 21, 2006
They got sick with a cold that night and their monitors went off a lot. We had to take them to the ER the next morning.

Taken Oct. 5, 2006-Two days before Karter was able to go off oxygen. Poor little guys face was swollen from the oxygen, he had cradle cap and eczema on his face. Not to mention the tape bothered him. Man, oxygen sucked.

Taken Nov. 11, 2006-Kolton enjoying his boppy and a binky.

3. Papasan Swing. We got two of these swings as a gift from a dear friend for the boys. Both boys really liked them but it was Karter who loved his swing. He up until 9 months or so would take his naps in his swing. I would let him swing until he fell asleep and then I would stop the swing. He would nap for an hour or more in it. When nothing else worked and Mama was about to have a break down from them not napping or wanting to be held all the time. I could turn to the swing for at least 30 mins. The swing will swing in two different directions and the seat has two different positions in which you can put it in. When you have infant twins you will try anything to get just enough time to cram a sandwich down your throat or go to the bathroom. These swings where sometimes the only reason I got to eat.


Taken Nov. 8, 2006
One of the first times I put them in their swings.

4. Booster Seats. Although these are not the exact seats we have they are by the same company, they just don't fold up. I love these seats, they take up less room than the highchairs, and when you have two of everything space is an issue. They are easy to clean and the boys feel like they are more apart of dinner time now. For that matter when we got these seats we were able to put the table back in the kitchen and all eat together. When it was just the highchairs we had to take the table out because there wasn't enough room for both the table and highchairs. We of coarse used the highchairs until the boys where able to sit well on their own. If we are going to a friend or relatives house to eat, we just take these seats along and the boys have their own chairs. I've not had one problem with these seats I think they're great.

Taken June 30, 2007
First time in their big boy seats. We have since then switched them to the other side of the table and most times we use the tray that came with the chairs, they seem to focus better on eating with the tray attached.

5. RadioFlyer Wagon. The boys got this for their birthday from their Nanny. This is a must for twin families. I would also say it was a must for families with children close in age. Both the boys love this wagon. It's easy to pull, has safety belts to keep them strapped in, and has cup holders. We never get one complaint from either of the boys in this wagon. We also have this wagon. I like the wagon as well, but at this point neither boy will stay seated in it long enough to be pulled around. Because it has the bigger tires it tips a little more easily. We've tried it several times but their not ready for it yet, they don't get that if they stand up or fall out while we are moving that its going to hurt and it's going to leave a mark and I don't want that. It does have a cover on it like a covered wagon which both boys are crazy about. They do however like to push it around they yard. I'm sure when their older this wagon will be just as big a hit as the other one.


July 4, 2007
First time in new wagon.

July 6, 2007
We even took it for their one year old pictures. The wagon's a hit I tell ya!

There's my list of my five favorite things so far. I'm sure as the kids get older my list will grow. Feel free to share your favorite thing in the comment section.

4 comments:

Eva said...

Great things. We have/had a lot of them, including the wagon and the boppy (though for tandem nursing I preferred my EZ to nurse twin nursing pillow).

Early on our Manhattan baby infant stim mobile was a life saver at changes.

Now I'd say the walker/ride on toy, and any simple, non battery toy, like blocks or books or shape sorters.

It will be interesting to see what they're into next!

Suz said...

I have to tell you that the Angel care monitor was our favorite thing as well. Our twins were 8 weeks early and it was lovely to have it.

We have got to get the booster seats...what a great idea!!!

Kristi said...

Hey! Wanted to answer your photography questions for you!

First, make sure if you get a camera for christmas to get a dslr, like try the nikon d70, that's what I have. They are pretty cheap now that newer models have come out, but still a GREAT camera. You'll also need a lens, I'd start with a 50mm, it's a good lens.

I am self-taught, but I learned most of what i know from www.ilovephotography.com, it's a great website. Start out on the JSO forum and you'll learn TONS.

Let me know if you have anymore questions!

Kristi

Anonymous said...

Good dispatch and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you on your information.