Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Hide Away Bed for Two

I don't know why I haven't written about this before. Maybe it's just because I'm lazy or busy but probably lazy. Anyway, it's been going on for probably six months now. What am I talking about you ask? Well let me tell you.

For about 6 months both boys have been coming into our room almost every night and wanting to sleep with us. For a month or so we would let them climb in bed with us. I tried putting them back into their own beds, but with two of them getting up at different times no one was getting much sleep. So we let them get into bed with us just so we could sleep, but that didn't work either. Kolton is a kicker and he turns sideways in the bed pushing everyone else out. Karter is a pillow hog.

So I racked my brain trying to figure out what to do. Then I remembered something I read a couple of years ago. I don't remember if it was online or in a magazine, but it was about the same thing. A child coming into the parents bed in the middle of the night. The person made a bed on the floor with a sleeping bag for the child and had them sleep on that. Another parent put toddler beds into their room for the kiddos. I didn't want to do that. The boys have their rooms and we have our room.

Then it hit me! I still had their crib mattresses. I could make those up with the crib sheets and some blankets, put it in the floor beside our bed at night and during the day push it under the bed. It worked!!!!



I told each boy that if they came into the bedroom at night that was fine but they needed to get in their "little bed" quietly and sleep there. I told them if they whined or threw a fit, I would send them to their own rooms. We've not had a problem since. Most morning we awake to a little boy in the floor beside us, and sometimes during the night they wake us to help cover them up, but it has worked for everyone. We have all slept better.




My sister tried it with her daughter who was hogging their bed and it worked for her as well. So to all you moms out there with kiddos who keep coming into your room at night and waking everyone up. Try this!

Let me know how it goes for you.

0 comments: