Sunday, March 23, 2008

20 Month Update

It's been a very busy weekend. Friday the boys had an eye appointment to recheck their eyes. Preemies can sometimes develop eye issues, I won't go into all the details because I've done it before on this site and because I'm tired and lazy tonight, but it just follow-up stuff we are doing. Kolton eyes are great and he doesn't need to been seen for 1-2 years. Karter will need to go back in 6 weeks to have a re-check. He had some dryness in his left eye, the doctor feels it was due to the drops they put in their eyes to dilate them, but wants to make sure that there is nothing chronic going on. So, we have eye ointment to use for two weeks and then we will see him four weeks after that. Both boys did and excellent job during the exams and there was only a few tears from Kolton on the initial entrance of the doctor. Kolton has white coat syndrome and cries a little when the doctor comes in. Karter tolerated all the looking in his eyes and the extra drops he got to help with the dryness. I've said it before but I have such good boys.

Now for the monthly update.

Kolton-I believe, much to my dismay, that Kolton is trying to give up his long naps. For the past two weeks he has awoken after an hour and starts screaming. Not because he's scared just because. This drives me insane for several reasons. Firstly, I NEED some time with all kids asleep during the day to do things like eat if I didn't get to at lunch, use the bathroom, fold laundry, check email or watch some part of some show the I'm not going to finish, but at least get further into. Not only is he waking up earlier from his naps than he used to, he wants me to hold him basically until Karter wakes up, which is usually an hour or so later. I don't mind this for the most part, but when he used to do this he would go back to sleep on me and then I would get to take a quick nap as well. Not anymore. Also I believe we are starting to see glimpses of the "terrible twos." Kolton will sometimes whine for 30 mins or more at a time. I've started asking him "are you whining?' To which he replies "NO" followed by more whining and me saying "we don't need to whine!" This past week neither one have wanted to eat all that well. The have basically stopped eating breakfast all together. I still offer it but pretty much it gets wasted. I assume it's a phase since they are both doing it. "Side"(outside) is the new big thing and they will both beg to go outside. I can't wait until it's warm and they can play until their hearts are content. Kolton talks up a storm and pretty much can say anything he wants or at least get his point across. Both boys have pretty much outgrown most of their 18 month shirts and have moved to 2t or 24 months, most 18 month pants fit, but are getting shorter and shorter.

Karter-Still likes his naps. I think he is going to take after his daddy's side of the family on this one. They all like to nap. My side have never been big nappers. Karter still LOVES all things electronic. If one gets taken away from him he goes into a stiff, screaming fit and when you try to calm him or talk to him he shouts "NO" and turns his head so he can't see you. It's not funny but then again it is. I try not to laugh, this only makes him madder, and I don't want to encourage this behavior. I usually ignore it and it stops if I don't make a fuss of it. He can pretty much say what he wants to as well, but is more quiet than Kolton as far as talking goes. He now takes things from Kolton and runs away trying to get Kolton to chase him. Depending on what it is Kolton will either run after him or whine. Karter won't eat fruit, but he will eat dried fruit and lots of it.

Thankfully,(knock on wood) both boys have continued to go to bed easily. Bedtime is 7:30 now, we brush out teeth get a cup of water, say night night to daddy, turn off the light and I sing them a couple of songs, give them a pat and tell them "night, night, love you, see you in the morning" to which Kolton for the past couple of nights has said "night, night" back and then I leave and close the door. They are usually asleep in 10 mins. I'm so thankful for this, but we have been pretty strict with our bedtime schedule. We do allow them to stay up for special occasions but those are few and far between and we have missed out on things because we don't want to mess up their schedule. However, it has been worth it because I have well rested children that aren't prone to mid day melt downs. They sleep about 11 1/2 to 12 hours a night with no wake ups and Kolton takes his measly hour nap and Karter usually a two hour nap. I'm always surprised when I go to walmart at night after 8 or 9 and there are all these children there. Most having melt downs and parents getting annoyed. I know sometimes it can't be avoided for whatever reason, but I don't understand why these parents don't see that their children are tired. I'm not talking about older children but young ones 3 and under. I don't get it and sorry it this offends anyone. That's why I sometimes have to go to walmart after the kids are asleep. I don't want to deal with tired melt downs especially in dreaded walmart. Ok getting of the soapbox.




Egg hunting and candy eating at nannie's.

0 comments: