Tuesday, October 07, 2008

New Routine

I'm not sure that I was aware before I became a mother, that a mother not only is in charge of the safety and care of her children but she has to be able to adapt hers and their schedule when things are no longer working smoothly. I must confess here that I'm more of a type A personality while my husband is a type B. I am much, much better than I used to be, something else that motherhood taught me, but still have my tendencies. I like to know what is going to happen, I work off a schedule and if it gets messed up, I feel messed up. I used to be a big stickler about naps and I am just recently able to loosen up the schedule some and go more with the flow.

Up until about a month ago, we had maintained the same schedule for about a year. The boys wake up anywhere from 7:30 to 8:00. I try to talk them into eating breakfast, but most days it's a no go, they just are not big breakfast eaters. Lunch is anywhere from 11:30 to 12:30 depending on if they ate breakfast and nap is usually at 1:00, where both boys would go to their rooms and sleep anywhere from and hour to two hours. However, about a month ago this no longer started working for Kolton.

All parts of the routine are the same but he will no longer go into his room and sleep or even lay in his bed at nap time. He begins to scream and cry and basically freaks out. When I finally realized that him screaming was not working for anyone, I tried something new. I had Kolton lay on the couch and be quiet for at least 30 mins. The first day he laid there and talked the whole time, but the next time he actually took a nap. Naps are hit or miss with him but at least I'm getting a little time to do stuff, Kolton is resting and Karter is getting to take his nap.

I have also had to adapt my shower taking schedule as well, but I'll write about that tomorrow. I've got to go start laundry.

0 comments: