Monday, August 04, 2008

PDA

Karter's appointment with the cardiologist was this morning. They did an EKG and a echocardiogram. They found that Karter has a PDA or Patent Ductus Arteriosus. This is very common in preemies and is usually diagnosed while still in the NICU, however for some reason ours wasn't. I remember the doctors speaking to us about PDA's and I can only assume we were lead to believe all was well or we just didn't remember to ask about it again. The cardiologist says that sometimes they just leave them alone until the child is older and stronger to treat the problem. You know here's were the instinct things comes into play again. Two weeks ago when we visited his Pediatrician I began racking my brain to try to figure out what it could be, the only thing I could come up with, and I'm not doctor mind you, it that it was an undiagnosed PDA. I said this several times to Jimmy and even researched it. I just knew this is what he had. As the doctor began to tell us what she thought it was, I asked, are we dealing with a PDA and she said yes she believed so. She thought that it has always been there, while I think it has always been there I wonder if it has always been so easily detected by stethoscope. He has had his heart listened to at every doctor visit by every doctor and no one up until recently has said anything about it. The cardiologist said that sometimes murmurs go undetected for awhile due to it just being plane ole loud in the exam room.

While we were not to fond of the doctors bedside manner, I am confident in her skills. Thankfully she will not be doing his procedure. Speaking of procedure he will be having a heart catheterization either before the Summer's end or next Summer. It will all depend on the doctor whom will be doing the procedure. We have yet to speak to him as the Cardiologist need to speak with him first and give him all details and test results, but we should know something shortly.

While I don't really want Karter or us for that matter to have to deal with any of this, I'm thankful that it's not something worse. We don't need to limit his activity and we don't have to worry about it messing with any electrical parts of his heart, at this point anyway. If it were to be undiagnosed for a very long time then those things might come into play.

Thank you for all your prayers and well thoughts. God is good.

1 comments:

Lesley Barr Photography said...

I am so glad also that it wasn't something worse. I am sorry you even have to go through this. *Hugs*